Tuesday, April 5, 2011

4 years ago

It was April 6, 2007. Good Friday. I'd already been in the hospital 4 days. My contractions kept getting stronger even though i was on medication to stop them. I didn't sleep well the previous night. I was dilated at 6 cm. But the heart burn was worse then the contractions. Adam and my mom came to visit in the morning and he was rammy, making contractions tricky. Around noon the doctors decided they were taking the babies. Once they made that decision there was no messing around. Right before they wheeled me out of my room, the phone rang. They told me to get it. It was my cousin-in-law offering to come and give me a pedicure. No can do, gotta go have the babies. Rod barely made it in time. They kept asking me if i was ok. I don't know, could we just get this over with please? I had a c-section before and was not scared about that. Was stunned to see the twins. So, so small. I was told immediately they are breathing on their own. The atmosphere in the OR was very positive. Lots of staff in there, doctors, nurses, NICU nurses, etc. Rod was walking around videoing everything. They wheeled them off to the NICU and Rod went with them while i went to the recovery room. I felt very good. Rod would come in and update me, he was excited. I was too, rather naive to the world of preemies. I went over to the NICU shortly after and held the boys. I remember being totally shocked at the NICU nurses. totally. They were like night and day to the other staff i had the previous 5 days. The NICU nurses are the best. They are sweet and calm and explain everything. The quintuplets were in the NICU at the same time as the twins. After holding the twins they wheeled me back to my room where i stayed for 3 nights. I had 2 sets of visitors within a couple hours and both didn't realize i just had the boys until we told them! They thought i was still on bedrest. They were surprised! I remember this day pretty good, it was a positive day, just taking things as they came. Everything was so new to us. We had so much support and prayers from friends and family.
Everyone has a unique birth story. Thought i'd relive and share mine! Happy birthday to my handsome little men!

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Happy Birthday wishes to your dear twins! I love hearing birth stories, especially happy ones.