Saturday, June 30, 2012

Storing up food!

I saw a Facebook quote this morning:   "GARDENING.  It's cheaper then therapy and you get tomatoes".  How cute.  I do think gardening is therapeutic.

I'm loving my pressure canner.  I now answer to "the crazy canning lady". I've been doing lots of canning and freezing these days and it feels good to get food put away.

Here's a few harvesting, canning, and freezing pics.....

A pretty big broccoli harvest this year...if you look close you can see the worms.  just kidding.  i picked off all 200 before taking this picture.  what can i say?  it's organic!

This is the first time i've canned green beans, verses freezing them.  I'll do some of both...

Pickle day was a success yesterday...

We discovered wild raspberry bushes all along the old railroad bed behind our house.  We love raspberries and they were free!



They eat most of them before they ever make it to the house!

Another new one...chicken broth!  I never have any thawed when i need it, so how handy to have it canned.  i go through a lot of broth in the winter for soups.  This broth is from a couple roasters i cooked up this week.  After i picked the chicken i put the bones and skin back in the pot, added water and simmered to make more. 

Blueberries!  Froze most of these for smoothies, pancakes, and snacking. 

I have enough red beets this year to can my own.  Nothing like red beets in the winter! 

This one is probably the most exciting, Rod's even pumped up about it.  Beef!  Our roasts are tough, VERY tough. No matter how you cook 'em.  But by cutting them up and canning them, it becomes tender as ever and with great flavor.  The boys eat a lot more beef this way, and i enjoy not having to watch everyone spit out their meat cause it's too chewy. 

Also canned some meadow tea concentrate.  We'll find out in December how this one turned out.  I canned enough to supposedly make 8 gallons. 

We even put some bunny in the freezer this week.  Not this one though.....yet :)
The fun has just started; we still have corn, tomotoes, apples, peaches, and whatever else i might try!

No comments: