Thursday, August 21, 2014

Back to School

today the boys started at their new school, 2nd and 3rd graders!  They were very excited, i am proud of their courage.  There are so many good things to say about this school, but starting the day off with 10 minutes of outdoor play?  that there stole my heart.

It's a small school, 11 kids in B and B's class.  13 kids in Adam's.  I love that more then words can say.  They also do not send kids home with homework, but they work hard while at school.  Makes sense to me!!

Adam go to school 3 days and week and will do the other 2 days at home with me.  The twins go only 2 days a week, and will do 3 days at home.  Sounds confusing doesn't it?!  Next year, they will be on the exact same schedule.  This model is called University Model, (UMS).  The vision for this model is to get children ready for college by putting them in a similar arrangement now, by having a couple days of classroom time, and doing a lot of work at home, like they apparently do in college (I never went to college!)  This model is not new, there are a lot of these schools in other states, but this is the only one offered in PA. 

I am not oblivious to the reality that the home days could be challenging!  has anyone ever spent time around Clay?  And i have concerns about one boy that has trouble with focus, and 2 other highly inquisitive boys as well.  But knowing this, i still have peace about this and am so happy for them to have this structure which to me feels like the most ideal setting for THEM.  Each family/child is different and thrives in different settings!
We know quite a few families in the school, so it's nice to have familiar faces right off the bat.  We feel like the school is going to grow, quickly.  A mom said today that it looks like twice as many kids as last year.  It's such a neat concept and a good in-between option for a lot of families.

I cannot believe that I didn't take a picture of them today!  totally forgot....BUT I did get a picture of the awesome clothes I got at a TWINS YARD SALE on Saturday!  Everything is matching or coordinating.  I've never been to a better twins sale in my life, i couldn't have dreamed it up any better.  it was massive, and good quality clothing, it was unbelievable.  I took down her name and number and I think i'll call and see if there are any sets that didn't sell I'd like to look at them again!  I was never so giddy at 7:30 in the morning before.  we got over 40 things for $60.

I need to organize my teaching papers so tomorrow can run smooth.  It's my first day!  Feel free to breathe a prayer!

No comments: