Rod hosted our church men/boys here Saturday for the 6ish annual clay pigeon shoot. The guys have a good time, and there's always a good turnout. I enjoyed hanging out with another wife, after she delivered the men 10 pizzas! I couldn't believe it when Rod asked Adam if he wanted to shoot a target with his hand gun. Adam was in his glory and hasn't stopped play shooting since.
After the shoot, i took the boys north for 2 hours to my dad's farm, where he and my mom are right now, doing the combining. The night before i was still debating whether or not to take them. Ben pipes in, "Yea let's go, it'll be like the beach, we'll make memories!" I couldn't turn down that sincere claim. We were there just under 24 hours, but had a good time taking walks, going "hunting", eating out, and going to Reptileland. It's so pretty up there with the mountains and quiet setting.
Let's switch gears here, you have to try this recipe. It came from sis in law Pam and it's very good! Finishing supper was not an issue for the Gingrich boys that night!
Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas w/ Pumpkin Sour Cream Sauce:
Pumpkin sour cream sauce:
- 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. chili powder*
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. chili powder*
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
10-12 large tortillas
2-3 cups shredded cheese
**the original recipe calls for 2T of chili powder each time, i was not that brave**
- Begin by making the pumpkin sour cream sauce; In your food processor or blender combine pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, sour cream, chili powder, and garlic and puree till smooth. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Place shredded chicken in large bowl and add a little less then half of the pumpkin sauce to it. toss chicken to coat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9x13 pans with nonstick cooking spray and spread a thin layer of pumpkin cream sauce on the bottom of 2 pans. (save some sauce)
- Heat large non-stick pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and minced garlic and cook until onions begin to soften. Add beans, chilies, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a slight boil, then reduce heat to medium low, stir consistently and let simmer for 5 minutes while sauce thickens. (i thickened it more w/ flour)
- Place about 1/4 cup of black bean mixture on each tortilla. Next take about 1/4 cup of chicken and pumpkin mixture and place on top of beans. Sprinkle 1-2T of cheese in each tortilla. Roll each tortilla and place seam side down in baking pan.
- top with any leftover sauce. sprinkle some cheese on top and bake for 20-30 minutes until edges of tortillas begin to turn brown. Enjoy!
Rod takes the funniest videos. It's a little long, but if you have 4 minutes, watch Rod enjoying some quality time with Clay while he is in la la land.